Friday, October 29, 2010

"Living an ARTful Life"





"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen".  (Leonardo da Vinci)

Northern Beacon  (Acrylic on canvas, by bArB)



We all live in an 'Artful' world, and how lucky are we?  VERY!
Painting, poetry, sculpture, mosaic, cuisine, jewellery, glass works, carvings, music, dance, photography, fabrics, furniture, decor, theatre, wine making... the list is endless.

For the artists themselves, it's their passion, their dream, their vision, their voice, their life's purpose. For the beholders... it's beauty, a memory, a feeling, a connection, a celebration. 

A painting can take you to the vineyards of Italy without leaving home. A beautifully choreographed dance can send your spirits soaring. A lullaby can soothe your soul. A poem can evoke memories of childhood. A lovingly hand-crafted piece of furniture can offer comfort and refuge after a difficult day. An intricate piece of jewellry can say 'I love you'. A photograph can capture a wonderous moment, to be enjoyed time and time again. A comedy troupe can make you laugh, and lighten your heart.

I have a creative side, and have always enjoyed 'dabbling' in things of an artistic nature. Three years ago, I took a painting class that gave me more than I could have ever imagined.  I have become an 'artist'!  Not just someone who paints. But someone who better appreciates the world of art, the passion that artists feel for their work, the skill and time put into their craft, the many genres that exist within the world of  'Art', and the devotion of those who try to bring 'Art' to the masses. I have met new and interesting people. I have found a wonderful way to express myself. A way to share a part of me, with those I love. I have opened a door, stepped through, and found a new piece of myself.

I encourage each and every one of you to do the same. It doesn't matter how you do it.
Take a painting class, read a book of classic poetry, go dancing with a special someone, attend the opening night of a play, visit a fabric store and run your fingers through silken treasures, join a photography club, wander through an art gallery, start a dinner group and explore the delectable delights of different cultures through food and wine.  

Let your imagination take you to the world of artistic discovery.
Your world will be all the richer for it.


Keep on keeping on... bArB :)

2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring Barb, I like all the alternatives you give for people to explore...thanks for your insight-I just tried my hand at painting with acrylic and it's a little weak but I hope to improve after a few classes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Diane! The arts enrich our lives for sure. We don't have to be Picasso, we just have to find enjoyment! You'll have so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete