Friday, October 22, 2010

"Parenthood... A Lifetime of Firsts"

" A father's love is higher than a mountain, a mother's love deeper than the sea."
                                                                                                      Japanese Proverb


Parenthood is not for the faint of heart!
But for those who choose the role, even with all the trials and tribulations, the returns are priceless.

I think one of my favorite parts of parenting is experiencing "the firsts".
Right away, most of you will think I'm talking about the first year. True, this is a time of awe and wonderment, discovery and amazement.... the first time you hold your child in your arms, the first little goo, that perfect first smile. Their first laugh, first tooth, sitting up, sleeping through the night, the much awaited "mama" or "dada", the first wobbly steps. It's a fantastical 365 days, to be sure.

But the "firsts" don't finish there. No siree bob. In fact, they never end. (Yeah!)
I remember so many. The first big slobbery kiss, the first hug from chubby little arms, the first "I love you Mommy". The first playdate, the first day of school, first handmade art class "Happy Mother's Day" card, first school dance, the first sleepover, first time to the mall with friends, the first crush, the first time at the wheel of the family car (Yikes!). Each "first" carries a special memory, and brings a nostalgic smile to my face.

And even now, as my children enter young adulthood, the "firsts" keep a coming! They may be unpredictable, unannounced, unexpected, but they are no less special, less fantastic, less memorable.
My boy, my oldest, who is out on his own, came over for Sunday dinner last week. Arriving with his girlfriend, he quickly produced a 7 Layer Dip for an appetizer... his contribution towards dinner.
A FIRST ! And I loved him a little more for it. Then yesterday, as I plied my freshman skills at blogging, my daughter actually laughed with me, over something I had written. Another FIRST ! Usually the laughs are on me, as my computer abilities are challenged at best, and, as is the norm for most Mom's of teenagers, my sense of humor is considered out right weird. That shared laughter will be a treasured moment for ever.

So as my muse comes to an end... I look forward, with great anticipation, to all the "firsts" yet to be.
Even the first time my children visit me in the Old Folks Home.
Just hope I remember who they are !!


Keep on keeping on... bArB :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, well put Barb. I love the "firsts" in life and I think that's what keeps us going. Always try something "new" and this blog is just that...keeps us young of mind and spirit - even if our bodies keep aging...such precious memories with your children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak for your self sista... my body is young and supple! Well, in my mind it is anyway! Thankfully, my inner spirit continues to blossom!
    Aren't memories the bomb?

    ReplyDelete