Thursday, October 21, 2010

"OMG... Oh My Gourd!"

Next to the changing of the leaves, nothing says fall like that big, vibrant globe with the funny name... the PUMPKIN! That bright ball of orange, that starts as a flower on a vine, and ever so subtly takes over the garden patch. (They also come in white, yellow, green, tan, and even blue... yes, I said blue. Hard to picture blue pumpkin pie as the "piece de resistance" at the Thanksgiving table. It sooo wouldn't match the color scheme!)

But I'm talking the good ol' orange variety here. The ones that greet you at a front door, perhaps snuggled against a little bale of hay, with bits of gingham ribbon tied around their stems. The wee ones at the grocery store that make you say, "Oh, how cute!" That perfect one at the bottom of the farmer's market bin, just waiting to be carved and proudly put on display, glowing, and inspiring many "ooohs and awwws". A fruit (not a vegetable!) so simple, yet it's the guest of honor at festivals around the world.

Some things you may (get a life) or may not (that's more like it) know about pumpkins:
- In colonial times, the pumpkin was used as an ingredient for the crust, NOT the filling.
- Pumpkins, and the tale of Cinderella, both originated in the 17th century. Coincidence?
- It was once thought that pumpkin mush could remove freckles. ( Ahh yes, and the infamous fake 'n bake orange glow is born!)
- Holy Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater, Batman,,, the largest pumpkin pie on record weighed over 2000 lbs. !

In musing about the pumpkin, I'd definitely have to say... "you are marvelous!" (channel Billy Crystal here). And if you question my affection, try out this super scrumptious recipe:

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
4 eggs                                                      3 C unbleached flour
1 C white sugar                                        1 TBSP cinnamon
1/2 C brown sugar                                   2 tsp baking powder
1 C vegetable oil                                      1 tsp baking soda
1/2 C plain applesauce                             1/2 tsp salt
1 (14 oz) can pumpkin pie filling               2 C chocolate chips

In large bowl, slightly beat eggs. Add sugars, oil, applesauce, and pumpkin filling. Beat on low, til well blended. Sift in dry ingredients, blend until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop into well greased muffin tins. Bake at 375 for 16-18 mins. Makes almost 3 dozen.

Hoping this recipe helps you see the lowly gourd in a whole new light!
                                           
Keep on keeping on... bArB :)

5 comments:

  1. Excited that you have a blog! I have one on tumblr but I don't really write anything. I just post photos or things from websites that I like. This last month I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to post anything though. Hope you are doing well and I will definitely be trying out that pumpkin muffin recipe! Tomorrow night my friend and I are going to carve some pumpkins. Perhaps I'll make it a carving and baking party!
    Love you and take care,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie... great to hear from you! I'm excited about my blog too. A friend helped me set it up, as I really knew nothing about the whole process. I think I'll have tons of fun with it!
    Hope school's going okay, and that life is treating you kind. "Hi" to Adam ! (Sorry if you get this comment twice... still trying to figure everything out!). Love you too.
    Auntie Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Barb, thanks for the recipe, will try it and let you know how it goes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely delicious...one of my best pumpkin recipes now - will definitely make again...thanks Barb...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful... they are addicting!!!

    ReplyDelete