Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"That First Snowfall"

At the risk of sounding insane to anyone reading this, I'm going to make a bold statementI love the first snowfall.
Call me crazy, (and many do!) but there's just something about those first floating flakes of icy crystals that sends a shiver of excitement through my entire being. I think it goes back to my early childhood days. (snicker here, those thinking "now that wasn't yesterday". I know who you are!)

Part anticipation, part possibilities. You never knew when that first flake would fall.  Would it be just a "dusting", as my dad used to say, or something grand enough to make a tiny snowman! Could I cajole my mom, with a promise not to lose them or get them dirty, in to letting me wear those new boots or bright pink mittens? Even at six years old, I could be pretty convincing (or was that stubborn?!). Anyhoo...

As the years passed, and I grew older, that first snowfall never lost it's charm. In my early twenty's, I worked as a nurse on a pediatric unit. If I happened to be on duty the day the first snow fell, my co-workers always knew where to find me... I'd be at the window of the ward room (it had the biggest window!), with as many of our wee patients as possible gathered around, watching snowflakes dance and swirl, excitedly sharing our favorite snow stories. A little respite from illness for them, a treasured trip down memory lane for me.

When my own children were little, we lived in Fort McMurray. The snow came early in this northern Alberta town. And my kids and I would be right there... layered in warm clothes, kicking up our hiking boot clad heels, doing the dance of joy on our front yard! We made little "snowball snowmen" and did "snow art" with squirt bottles of colored water. Then, with glowing rosy cheeks, we'd go in and have a picnic... grilled cheese sandwhich sticks, apple slices, and hot chocolate. It was always the best of days.

But whether we're six, or sixty-six, we know the first snow never lasts. It just teases us with fleeting moments of glee and then says goodbye, leaving us breathless with anticipation for the winter wonderland soon to arrive. At least that's the way I saw it then, and still see it now.

As I write these last few words, I'm watching a chipmunk scurry back and forth along our fence, making his final preparations for the season ahead. What a smart fella. For those of you who shudder at the idea of winter's arrival, I say this: Learn from nature's creatures. Enjoy this season, as you prepare for the next... then you can enjoy that season, too.

So dust off your boots, find your mittens, put on your winter tires, knit a new scarf, get out your slow cooker. Then sigh and relax. You're ready. Now just take in the beauty of it all.


Keep on keeping on... bArB :)

2 comments:

  1. Barb, I think you should write a book...you are sooo good at this...I can hardly wait for our first snowfall now. Still enjoying the changing fall colors out here though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love writing and expressing my thoughts. This blogging thing is fun and, as it turns out, quite theraputic too! And it's another way to 'stay in touch' with my family back home. How awesome is that?

    ReplyDelete